Translate

Saturday, August 10, 2019

Spectacular rescue in Argaga yet again



Above images were taken by the Spanish police early in the morning on Saturday, August 3rd 2019, during a spectacular rescue of a mountain hiker who had become trapped in a cliff of the notorious  Barranco de Argaga area near Valle Gran Rey, which is however part of the municipality of Vallehermoso. The trapped hiker had to spend the previous night in the precipitous location to await daylight and rescue by the Guardia Civil mountain unit police helicopter. In the first image (and the close-up of same below it) a rescuer had already been set down near the trapped man to assess the victim's state of health. Luckily he was unharmed and was then brought down to the heliport of Valle Gran Rey.
Please stay away from Argaga, as numerous accidents and even deaths have occurred there. Read more...

4 comments :

cully said...

I have climbed Argaga on several occasions, the first from the top down, and cannot understand how this person got into such difficulties unless he intended to take this precipitous and suicidal route.
Did he fall to this point? Or was he trying to make an unusual ascent choosing a path of his own. This is not made clear in the article. In my opinion,
Argaga in the right conditions is a reasonably safe ascent.

La Gomera said...

The rescue services never comment on how a victim got into difficulties. Let me just state once again that Argaga is notorious for rockfalls in any weather and it is a most dangerous ravine that has been officially closed to hikers/climbers for several years since part of the old track have collapsed.

Anonymous said...

I have descended Argaga and it should only be undertaken by confident, very experienced hikers. It would be very easy to get out of your comfort zone with no escape routes available. When I last did the route I only came away with a cracked phone screen which I was happy with. I got to one of the Vueltas seafront restaurants and advised what I had done. They were glad I was alive and got me a big beer! Jason El Cardal

Soulution Pilates said...

I just love your writing, your articles never bore me. Travelling is one of my favorite things to do, and you have shown some of the best places here. I am currently planning to go Thanda Island vacation now. So, thanks for the well written article.